Our new Client Manager shares his insights on what makes for a successful recruitment.
For those of you who haven’t met me yet, I’m Matt, Palmerston North Personnel’s new Client Manager.
I’ve recently relocated with my family from Auckland, Palmerston North is my wife’s home city.
I was born in the UK and have over 12 years recruitment experience within the New Zealand market working for both global and NZ agencies.
I have a thorough knowledge of the 360-degree recruitment process and am experienced as an end to end recruiter, account manager and people leader with a passion to assist businesses develop and succeed.
I have now been working in the Palmerston North market for 4 weeks. Not long I know but I have already seen some key differences to the Auckland market:
- People like doing business face to face – not by phone or emails
- It’s all about reputation and relationships – it’s a small market and everyone knows everyone
- I am always early to meetings (no traffic)
- Oh, and my commute – used to be 1 hour and 15 minutes each way. It's now 10 minutes each way!! – better quality of life and well-being.
Getting to know your business and assisting your growth by providing tailored talent solutions is what I am here for, I get a buzz out of doing it each and every time.
The beauty about recruitment is the people you work with come from all different backgrounds and no two days are the same.
My three top tips for clients when recruiting are as follows:
- Speed - It’s a very competitive market and candidates get put off if you take too long with feedback / next steps. Communication within the recruitment process is critical to securing the best candidate
- Don’t low ball on salary - First impressions count. You don’t get a bargain in this market!! You get what you pay for
- Think about your company’s USP and culture - If I had $1 for every time a client has told me their culture is “work hard play hard” I would be a very rich man. Take time to work on your company’s EVP (Employee Value Proposition)
The Manawatu has many great opportunities for local people or those looking to make the change like I did.
So, if you’re a candidate looking for that next challenge or a client looking to hire a high performer into your organisation feel free to contact me.