Thinking of hiring a staff member and ringing a few agencies? There is a better way.
Try partnering with one recruitment specialist instead!
Hiring an employee is about forming an enduring professional relationship – much like forming a personal relationship.
Which is higher quality and sets you up for longer lasting, mutually benefcial relationships?
Speed Date or Partnering?
You take one of two approaches:
- SPEED-DATE – rush to meet the people immediately available, hire them quickly – and expect most of the time it won’t be a great relationship.
- PARTNER - Invest time in partnering with quality recruitment specialists. You can expect them to take the time to define what you want/need in an employee, plan and implement strategies to search for them, and check/screen and interview them fully. Then you can hire them knowing the stars are aligned for a quality relationship - and receive two-way communication and consultation all the way through.
By partnering with the best specialist you can find, you can be assured that a number of things will happen:
- Your recruitment specialist will take the time to do a great job – not a quick job of sending poorly-checked resumes of people looking for jobs rather than careers
- You can expect your preferred recruiter to take time to get a deep understanding of your needs and then commit to meeting them – in fact you should demand it!
Good things take time – and by having one exclusive recruitment partner you are allowing them to prepare, plan and spend the time needed to:
- Create an amazing, complex search campaign and make recommendations on solutions you didn’t know about
- Engage with applicants and engage with people who haven’t even been looking ****see below for more on this****
- Make your opportunity the opportunity of choice in your industry, location or speciality
- Report on the whole campaign – sharing what has worked and what hasn’t, and adjust accordingly
- Provide advice and consultative services to you throughout the whole process
Two Fun Facts:
- Only 27% of the available and suitable people for work use job boards
- 47% of the available and suitable people not using job boards will apply if they know of your opportunity
Right now in Manawatu (August 2018) there are 250% times the normal level of advertised roles!
It's competitive and good people are harder to find! Any single job advert will be 0.1% of the advertsied vacancies.
(That is 1 advert in about 1,000 advertised vacancies, if you wondered)
To successfully attract, engage and hire the best people, you need an effective employment brand or a skilled employment brand ambassador (also known as your recruitment partner)
An effective employment brand tells the story you want people to hear – why they should work for your company.
Engaging a skilled employment brand ambassador compliments this story by encouraging passive employees to make a suitable CV, and apply when they were not even thinking about a career change. This converts them from Passive to Active. Refer to the Fun Facts above.
If hiring "the best person, not the first person" is appealing to you – then reach out for a confidential discussion about your plans.
Find out how Palmerston North Personnel can be your Employment Brand Ambassador or your Recruitment Partner