Location : Filled Vacancies | Listed : Wednesday, 22 August | Type : Permanent + Full-time
Make a difference by getting out there, engaging with Maori businesses and showing them the tools and support CEDA and their partners have to offer.
The team at the Central Economic Development Agency (CEDA) have the best job in the world; they're on a mission to make our region the very best it can be! Every day they are focused on driving and facilitating the creation and growth of sustainable economic prosperity in the Manawatu and beyond. So, if you want your career to have real purpose, and you're committed to using your expertise to make a difference, then look no further, this could be the opportunity which you've been searching for.
We’re seeking a special team member, someone who has the nuance to engage with a variety of stakeholders and business people, with knowledge and confidence to engage with Manawatu-Wanganui’s Maori economy.
What you need to know about the organisation:
Jointly owned and funded by the Manawatu District Council and the Palmerston North City Council. CEDA has an effective independent board with years of governance and industry experience, who are fully committed to driving positive business, social, cultural and environmental outcomes for the region.
The CEDA team are a passionate group of people with expertise in marketing, communications, events, and business attraction, retention and development. Collectively, they are the enablers, the connectors and the doers; leading the economic development of the region we call home.
CEDA recognises the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and acknowledges the importance of partnering with Iwi and recognition of Tangata Whenua in the region. This role is a reflection of our commitment to these partnerships, and we’ll support you to engage with both the Maori and Regional economy for the benefit of all of our communities and peoples.
About the Business Growth Advisor's position:
The CEDA business team are tasked with delivering great outcomes for businesses in the wider Horizons region. As a Business Growth Advisor, you will manage a portfolio of businesses, provide sector leadership, and you will have the opportunity to understand where those businesses are now and where they want to be in the future. You will add value by connecting them with the tools/resources/expertise to knock down the barriers to getting there. This position will be specifically responsible for the growth and development of the Maori Business sector in the Region.
What we are looking for in you:
- Experience; tertiary trained or equivalent experience, you may have studied business or have practical experience in business, government or other commercial organisations, as you’ll need to engage with Maori business, networks and business people. Previous experience working with community development or business development in the Maori Business sector is essential.
- Motivation; this is a role where you can make a difference if you get out and do it! At times businesses don’t know that they need you or the tools/support you and CEDA have on offer – so engaging with them and providing tailored advice will be key. You’ll also be comfortable working with kaupapa organisations and have a knowledge of Te Reo ona tikanga Maori.
- Connectivity; the CEDA team is in Palmerston North and live, work and play in their local communities – your existing connections with business and networks including Iwi support agencies through the wider Horizons region will help you to hit the ground running.
- Engagement; you will be someone that engages with your audience – empathy, respect and trust will be in your DNA
- Consultation; as Business Growth Advisor no two clients will be the same, so you will need to be fluent at quickly building rapport, understanding their wants and drive down to their core needs – yes this means you will ask tough questions, while earning your clients’ confidence and trust.
- Credibility; this will most likely come from your previous education or business ownership/management experiences and ability to engage with Iwi and regional Maori Business Networks.
- Overall: knowledge and competency in Te Reo, tikanga, te ao Māori, Māori business networks and experience in supporting Māori business (or economies) or in Māori business is essential, not desirable. A person with high degree of cultural awareness, and technically and culturally capable would be ideal.
This is an opportunity to achieve amazing things for regional businesses. If you have the above experience and are passionate about the Manawatu and all it has to offer, then click Apply to upload your Cover Letter and updated CV (in Word format).
Applications Close Friday the 7th of September 2018 at 5.00pm. All applications will be managed by Robyn Bills from Palmerston North Personnel.